Portals‎ > ‎

12 - Camp Telogia, Parkland's "Hidden Gem"

History of Camp Telogia 

Nestled in a field of pine trees and safe from Holmberg Road traffic, Camp Telogia is a throwback to the past and may be one of Broward County's best kept secrets. The name most likely came from the Indian word "Telogia" meaning wandering or meandering. This secluded site continues to serve as the only Girl Scout facility in Broward County.

Camp Telogia is approximately 13 acres. Facilities are provided for daytime activities for all levels of girl scouts. The camp has two platform tent sites (White Oaks and Sunshine) and a Troop House. There are nine platform tents sleeping four to a tent at one site and the other has five platform tents sleeping four each. Green Thumb, the Troop House sleeps twenty and is ADA accessible. Camp Telogia has full cooking facilities, wide open fields and outdoor bathroom and shower facilities.

Girl Scouting in Broward County dates back to 1935, and the Girl Scouts of Broward County Council was officially chartered in 1951. Camp Telogia was acquired in 1961 when Broward County sold 10 acres to the Girl Scouts for a token $1 payment. According to the property deed, the 10 acres cannot be sold, mortgaged or leased without prior approval of the Broward County Commission. Another 2.8 acres to the west of the original site were added in the early 1980s.

In October 2003, the Girl Scouts of Broward County tried to sell Camp Telogia to a land developer. Upon learning of the planned sale, County Commissioner Ilene Lieberman was alerted to the City of Parkland's opposition to the sale of the property. Broward County stepped-in and told the Girl Scouts that the deed had a 'riveter clause' such that if the land was not used as a Girl Scout camp, the land would revert back to the County. This reversed the Girl Scout's intentions to sell the land. In 2006, the Board of Directors for Girl Scouts of the USA endorsed a plan to realign its 312 councils into 109 community-based councils. In September 2008, delegates for Girl Scouts of Broward County and Girl Scouts of Palm Glades Council voted to approve the merger and the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida (GSSEF) was formed.

2012: Camp grounds with sign to White Oak.                      Camp Grounds with sign to Green Thumb. 

Parkland's Involvement with Camp Telogia 

Over the years, Camp Telogia has served many purposes. In 1979, the City of Parkland had one full-time employee and one phone line at City Hall which was a mobile trailer on the side of Holmberg Road; the trailer wasn't large enough for Commission meetings which were held at Camp Telogia. In January 1981, a fire behind the camp was reported and put out by the Parkland Volunteer Fire Dept. In July 1987, cadets and Public Safety officers took part in an overnight camping trip that included not only the usual baseball games and cookouts, but also exercises in police work. 

In February 2001, during "Build Week" for Parkland's Liberty Park ("The Park the People Built"), 22 AmeriCorp volunteers stayed at Camp Telogia. The Girl Scouts made an exception for Parkland to allow them to stay there overnight for one week while working 12 hour days on the playground construction.

On September 21, 2005, the Parkland City Commission passed a resolution supporting a grant of up to $500,000 from the Broward County Environmental Land Preservation Bond Program to Camp Telogia for capital improvements. However, in October 2005, Hurricane Wilma did extensive destruction to the trees and significant damage to the structures within Camp Telogia. Parkland residents graciously donated their time and equipment to clear the damage.

Source: 2005 pictures from Andrea Levenson.                       Donated equipment cleared the destruction.

In 2007, the Girl Scouts sponsored Trees for Telogia campaign to plant new trees and restore that which had been destroyed by the hurricane.


Source: 2007 pictures from Andrea Levinson. Note all the replanted and supported trees. 

In early 2008, the Parkland Commission approved an ordinance which rezoned Camp Telogia to allow for its redevelopment. The intent was to permit the use of the parcel as a Girl Scout camp, and, should the Girl Scouts choose to change the uses on the site or if the site was to be sold, a rezoning petition would be required. 

On February 20, 2008 the Commission approved a resolution which was a request for the revitalization of the Girl Scouts’ Camp Telogia. The facility would remain a camp and the improvements would help bring the facility up to Code. They intended to continue their rustic ambiance and keep their natural vegetation.

In May 2009, over the Memorial Day weekend, several Parkland and Coral Springs Girl Scout troops enjoyed a Camporee at Camp Telogia. Participants included more than 65 scouts and led an awareness session that certified Camp Telogia as a Backyard Wildlife Habitat.

In January 2010, Girl Scouts gathered at Camp Telogia to honor those individuals who sponsored a tree in their annual "Trees for Telogia" campaign. The campaign was started after Hurricane Wilma destroyed more than 60% of the tree canopy at Camp Telogia. At the time, more than 100 trees had been sponsored by Girl Scouts, individuals, families and companies. Especially honored and acknowledged were the Girl Scouts of Troop #1082 for helping to make Camp Telogia a greener place.

Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place.

Written by James Weiss; Archive Retrieval by Pierre Hodot; Edited by Ira Goldman; Design and Art Work by Bill Reicherter; Parkland Historical Society President Jeff Schwartz;